Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pchum Ben

Our team had 2 great days with the girls this week.  We have an unexpected short week this week due to a holiday called Pchum Ben.  It is also know as Ancestors Day and is somewhat like our Thanksgiving.  They travel home to family and celebrate their dead ancestors.  We thought we were going to have Monday and Tuesday off but it ends up that we do not teach Wed - Fri.  With that in mind we packed enough into the last 2 days that we made up for it.  I love how our team plans out the day together and then reassess it at the end of the day so we can make changes to improve and fine tune.  

During the last 2 days we did a great art project that taught and reinforced the color wheel. The girls really enjoyed painting and got a pretty good grasp on the whole thing.  There were plenty of demo cuts, hands on work, playing their favorite game called "zoo" and best of all, lots of bonding.  We even were requested to do the Electric Slide again!

I am amazed over how quickly I have become attached to the girls and I know the others on my team feel the same way.  The girls love to sit and put their head on your shoulders, hold your hand, play with your hair and have constant contact with us.  I feel like they are all my daughters and I just want to put them in my suitcase and take them home, especially the youngest one.  Today I was observing them and got all teary eyed.  They asked what was wrong and I told them I was picturing saying good bye to them and I could't stand it!  Tears make them uncomfortable and they do not show them very often.  I think they understood though, they know how much we all love them.  

Tonight we actually ate at a Mexican restaurant and had some margaritas.  Afterwards we wandered over to Pub Street and then into Night Market.  They both have a pretty crazy night life but lots of fun.  We mainly played looky-loos but did manage to take on a food challenge (at least 2 of us did).  There was a cart that had fried crickets, snakes on a stick and fried frogs.  Kali and I tried the snake and I must say it tasted like chicken jerky.  I only managed to get one bite down but Kali ate the whole thing!!  We have some adventures planned the next few days and I will keep you posted.  We are all really embracing this wonderful place and just thinking about leaving makes my heart feel so heavy!!

Please realize that there will be no photos of the students.  At the most you may see their hands in the photos of them doing their work.  This is to protect them and is out of respect to both their safety and the work AIM is doing.  
Team Gen off to their first day!

Hands at work!

Finally figured out where all the tourists are!

Kali and her "snake on a stick!"

Where else can you get a foot massage and watch a drag queen show
at the same time?

This is for you Cameron...mom tried something gross to eat!


3 comments:

  1. Ha!Ha! I love your comment to Cameron. Good for you being brave!!! I love your team name :) I'm so happy that you are having this experience and these girls are getting to experience your love and warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, Beth. Having fun following your adventures and watching you enjoy life. LU...your big bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you brother! Pretty amazing journey in so many ways!

      Delete